As anyone who follows me on Instagram knows, Curtis and I love to go hiking. We've been slowly checking off the list of 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles for the past couple years and it's been a great way to see new parts of the Bay Area. It's become one of our favorite things to do as a couple. In fact, this week one year ago, he proposed to me with a ring placed in this book, promising many more adventures together. He hasn't let me down so far :)
For Earth Day we thought it would be nice to give back to these trails that have brought us so much joy and wonder. On Saturday we volunteered at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve to do some "habitat restoration", aka weeding. Two guides led us to a meadow area, showed us the invasive species that needed to be removed, and off we went! In the past when I've helped removed invasive plants, such as Himalayan blackberries and ivy vines, they were big and obvious. This time, the invaders were small and looked a lot like the native species, so it took a lot more crouching and a lot more examination. We learned so much from the guides though, who took a lot of time to point out various wildflowers and unique natural features of the park. Their passion and vast amounts of knowledge were inspiring. I don't think we will become frequent weed warriors, but it was a fun and fulfilling experience. I don't want to think about a world without parks and natural spaces and I'm so thankful that these lands have been protected and maintained for us, as well as future generations, to enjoy.
For Earth Day we thought it would be nice to give back to these trails that have brought us so much joy and wonder. On Saturday we volunteered at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve to do some "habitat restoration", aka weeding. Two guides led us to a meadow area, showed us the invasive species that needed to be removed, and off we went! In the past when I've helped removed invasive plants, such as Himalayan blackberries and ivy vines, they were big and obvious. This time, the invaders were small and looked a lot like the native species, so it took a lot more crouching and a lot more examination. We learned so much from the guides though, who took a lot of time to point out various wildflowers and unique natural features of the park. Their passion and vast amounts of knowledge were inspiring. I don't think we will become frequent weed warriors, but it was a fun and fulfilling experience. I don't want to think about a world without parks and natural spaces and I'm so thankful that these lands have been protected and maintained for us, as well as future generations, to enjoy.
Comments
Post a Comment