I am blessed with amazingly talented and generous friends. My friend (and hairstylist) Rhea is the co-owner of Le Reve Salon in Burlingame. Today her wonderful team put on an event called Cuts for Kids to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and a local non-profit called Kids & Art, which partners with artists to bring art sessions to children and their families during cancer treatment, recovery, or bereavement.
As part of their fundraising efforts, Le Reve was offering $20 haircuts, which is a steal for the beautiful, high-quality work they do. When I first saw them advertise the event, I knew I had to get an appointment for G. As many teenagers do, G is always fantasizing about changing up her look with clothes, piercings, body art, and of course, hairstyles. A lot of ideas come and go, but she has been talking about a new haircut for the past six months or more. Resources are tight for her family though, so trips to the salon are understandably not a top priority. I have wanted to take her for a while, but have been budget-conscious myself lately, so this was the perfect opportunity to not just save money, but do good on multiple fronts.
G and I have been talking about and looking forward to this haircut for at least the last month. I asked her to give it a lot of thought, collect pictures, and make sure to get her Dad's approval, which she did. Today was finally the day, and all of the anticipation was well worth it. G's stylist, Jessi, did an incredible job from start to finish. G could not stop smiling, looking in the mirror, and admiring her new do. She was beaming with confidence, and it made her look so surprisingly adult. If I ever doubted it before, today confirmed for me the incredible power of a good haircut. G didn't just look different, she actually saw herself differently. I am so grateful to Jessi for giving G the opportunity to look in the mirror at a beautiful, confident, and mature young woman. As they say, you can't be what you can't see! I think this will set the new school year off on a great note for G.
Beyond G's experience, the entire event was a complete success. (See more pictures here.) So many people came out to support the cause by getting haircuts, buying raffle tickets, bidding on art, and just showing up with smiling faces. It's evident that the women of Le Reve have built a strong, vibrant community of clients and friends. Not just anyone can do that. Their community is a reflection of all the heart and soul they put into their work daily. I'm so proud of Rhea and her team, and can't wait to see what they will come up with next! Whatever it is, G and I will definitely be there.
As part of their fundraising efforts, Le Reve was offering $20 haircuts, which is a steal for the beautiful, high-quality work they do. When I first saw them advertise the event, I knew I had to get an appointment for G. As many teenagers do, G is always fantasizing about changing up her look with clothes, piercings, body art, and of course, hairstyles. A lot of ideas come and go, but she has been talking about a new haircut for the past six months or more. Resources are tight for her family though, so trips to the salon are understandably not a top priority. I have wanted to take her for a while, but have been budget-conscious myself lately, so this was the perfect opportunity to not just save money, but do good on multiple fronts.
G and I have been talking about and looking forward to this haircut for at least the last month. I asked her to give it a lot of thought, collect pictures, and make sure to get her Dad's approval, which she did. Today was finally the day, and all of the anticipation was well worth it. G's stylist, Jessi, did an incredible job from start to finish. G could not stop smiling, looking in the mirror, and admiring her new do. She was beaming with confidence, and it made her look so surprisingly adult. If I ever doubted it before, today confirmed for me the incredible power of a good haircut. G didn't just look different, she actually saw herself differently. I am so grateful to Jessi for giving G the opportunity to look in the mirror at a beautiful, confident, and mature young woman. As they say, you can't be what you can't see! I think this will set the new school year off on a great note for G.
Beyond G's experience, the entire event was a complete success. (See more pictures here.) So many people came out to support the cause by getting haircuts, buying raffle tickets, bidding on art, and just showing up with smiling faces. It's evident that the women of Le Reve have built a strong, vibrant community of clients and friends. Not just anyone can do that. Their community is a reflection of all the heart and soul they put into their work daily. I'm so proud of Rhea and her team, and can't wait to see what they will come up with next! Whatever it is, G and I will definitely be there.
Thank you for your amazing work, Le Reve!
Comments
Post a Comment