Skip to main content

It's Official

It's official...my wonderemployment is coming to an end! I've accepted a full-time position at the Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO, pronounced app-cho) and will be starting the first week of November.

I got the offer last Wednesday so I've had some time to think it over, absorb the news, and celebrate in small ways. As all of you who have read my thoughts for the past nine months know, working part time has been both a joy and a burden for me. I have loved being able to do more of the things that I genuinely enjoy, though it's been hard feeling at a standstill, not contributing financially to our household the way I feel that I should. After many months of wondering what to do, I am finally taking the long-awaited next step. I am anxious about the change (because I am always anxious about any change), but generally feeling really hopeful about this new opportunity. I am excited to be challenged in new ways, to meet new people, to keep moving forward.

I have a few more weeks to say goodbye to wonderemployment, and I really need to make a to-do list! Any ideas for how to spend my last few free weekdays, besides running all those pesky daytime errands, like going to the post office and dry cleaners? I really want to use my time preciously and give my wonderemployment the send-off it deserves.

A congratulatory bouquet from my biggest supporter. Thank you Curtis!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...