Yesterday was my last day at AAPCHO and in many ways it couldn't come fast enough. Having two months notice is a mixed blessing. It allows you more time to look for a new job, but it also prolongs the inevitable. After the shock wore off, awkwardness and frustration took its place, as I dragged myself to work every day knowing I had no future there.
It didn't take long for me to realize that being laid off was ultimately a good thing. This role was not a good fit for me in many respects, and I could not see myself establishing a long career at this organization. But how long would it have taken me to act on that information? Who knows. Most likely, too long.
But now it's a clean slate and a new beginning. Unexpectedly, I've found a new job already. I wasn't even sure I wanted to look, but someone I had worked with on a recent project approached me to come work for her community health center. Their needs and interests were perfectly aligned with mine, so that was that! I start next week. I cannot believe my good fortune that things worked out so quickly and seamlessly. I'm genuinely excited, and believe that this will be a positive career move for me.
I'll only be working part time, which is essential for me right now. I have been dealing with pelvic girdle pain for most of my pregnancy, especially in the last couple months, which means that it's painful to walk, go up or down stairs, get in and out of the car, put my pants on, turn over in bed, or pretty much do anything that requires me to lift my legs. I've talked to my doctors and a physical therapist to help manage the pain, but it still means significantly changing my routine to avoid walking and not pushing myself too hard physically. Commuting every day has been rough, and most of the time I come home from work in a decent amount of pain and the discomfort is only projected to get worse as the baby gets bigger.
I don't think it counts as underemployment when it's my preference and choice, but I am most definitely looking forward to going back to my "wonderemployment" schedule. I'll be working a bit, taking more personal time (aqua aerobics, here I come!), and getting things ready for baby. I don't plan to step up my community service like last time, given that mobility is such an issue for me right now, but I know working part time will leave me more energy for the volunteer commitments I already have. I mentioned in my anniversary post that Curtis was supportive, but stressed during my last wonderemployment period, but things feel different this time because we already were prepared for our schedules and finances to change with the arrival of the baby. The changes are coming a few months early, but it is what I need for my health anyway.
I am in physical pain, but emotionally, I feel great. Things are working out better than I could have hoped for, and every day the baby is moving around and letting me know she's doing well. It's an amazing feeling, and it reminds me of all I have to look forward to.
It didn't take long for me to realize that being laid off was ultimately a good thing. This role was not a good fit for me in many respects, and I could not see myself establishing a long career at this organization. But how long would it have taken me to act on that information? Who knows. Most likely, too long.
But now it's a clean slate and a new beginning. Unexpectedly, I've found a new job already. I wasn't even sure I wanted to look, but someone I had worked with on a recent project approached me to come work for her community health center. Their needs and interests were perfectly aligned with mine, so that was that! I start next week. I cannot believe my good fortune that things worked out so quickly and seamlessly. I'm genuinely excited, and believe that this will be a positive career move for me.
I'll only be working part time, which is essential for me right now. I have been dealing with pelvic girdle pain for most of my pregnancy, especially in the last couple months, which means that it's painful to walk, go up or down stairs, get in and out of the car, put my pants on, turn over in bed, or pretty much do anything that requires me to lift my legs. I've talked to my doctors and a physical therapist to help manage the pain, but it still means significantly changing my routine to avoid walking and not pushing myself too hard physically. Commuting every day has been rough, and most of the time I come home from work in a decent amount of pain and the discomfort is only projected to get worse as the baby gets bigger.
I don't think it counts as underemployment when it's my preference and choice, but I am most definitely looking forward to going back to my "wonderemployment" schedule. I'll be working a bit, taking more personal time (aqua aerobics, here I come!), and getting things ready for baby. I don't plan to step up my community service like last time, given that mobility is such an issue for me right now, but I know working part time will leave me more energy for the volunteer commitments I already have. I mentioned in my anniversary post that Curtis was supportive, but stressed during my last wonderemployment period, but things feel different this time because we already were prepared for our schedules and finances to change with the arrival of the baby. The changes are coming a few months early, but it is what I need for my health anyway.
I am in physical pain, but emotionally, I feel great. Things are working out better than I could have hoped for, and every day the baby is moving around and letting me know she's doing well. It's an amazing feeling, and it reminds me of all I have to look forward to.

Comments
Post a Comment