Skip to main content

Hello from the other side

What a whirlwind the last two weeks have been. We welcomed our beautiful, healthy baby Holly into the world and just like that, we became parents. I am someone's mother!

It's hard to give the hugeness of that much thought though because we're just trying to keep things afloat. Bringing home a newborn is both easier and harder than I had imagined. Her needs really are simple: milk, a clean diaper, and some love and affection. So far, she doesn't cry for anything other than those things. We don't sleep more than 2.5 hours at a time (and we would consider that a good stretch!), but that has been relatively manageable since we don't have anywhere to be in the morning and can nap whenever the opportunity arises. Between my mom's cooking and our amazing friends that have contributed to our meal train, we haven't had to worry about food at all, which simplifies life quite a bit.


The hardest part is that the baby's "simple" needs are not actually that simple. Her milk doesn't come from the grocery store... it comes from me. My baby books and breastfeeding class did not prepare me for what a commitment that would be. They talked about the benefits, the mechanics, the challenges a mother could face, but it all seemed so abstract. I didn't visualize my own body in the act when I learned about these things and I somehow thought that after giving birth, I would be done sacrificing my body for this child. That might sound harsh, but pregnancy and birth really do demand so much of our bodies and I was not-so-secretly looking forward to the finish line. Over the first week of her life I quickly realized that by offering her my breasts for nourishment, our bodies would remain intertwined for much, much longer. As long as I remain committed to breastfeeding her, she will completely depend on my body to live. Whoa. I am waiting for that to feel like a beautiful, special bonding experience. But so far, it has been painful, emotionally fraught, and exhausting. Is it supposed to feel this way? Is she getting enough? Do I want to be comfortable, or do I want my baby to live?? I stare at our baby app, which tracks her feedings and diaper changes, and think: This is my life now?


Things are slowly improving. I have been getting support from lactation consultants (a free service through Kaiser, thank goodness!) and from moms who have been there who can tell me it does get better. I'm learning, the baby is learning. Hormones are balancing out, I'm getting stronger, and the sun is finally back after a long stretch of heavy rain. I'm supposed to take it easy for six weeks because I had a c-section, but yesterday we went out for bubble tea and a very brief walk at the park, finally testing our stroller out. It was wonderful to feel the sunshine, look down at Holly and up at Curtis, and realize: Yes, this is my life now... and it's going to be good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

A Lesson in Writing and Authenticity

Often my blog drafts begin as emails to myself that I write during my commute or while I'm traveling. Sometimes they make it straight to the blog, and other times they end up in draft folder purgatory. I was sorting through my emails recently and came across this post that I wrote last summer. It still seems relevant and worth sharing, especially since today is the second anniversary of this blog. This blog has been such a rewarding project for me. It has helped me to think about my experiences in a different way, to open doors for bigger conversations, and to reclaim my long lost love: writing. --- I spent my flight to Minneapolis reading Katie Couric's The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives . I think under regular circumstances I would find the essays a bit cliched. The overarching themes are to be expected: work hard, follow your passions, be kind to others. But I find myself once again with the stirring feeling that I am not where I am supposed...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...