When people say time flies with a baby, they really mean it. In the first month, caring for Holly was so exhausting and so new, every day seemed like an eternity. But somewhere along the way, my perception of time flipped, and now I have no idea how three months have already gone by.
Like most new parents, we take tons of pictures of the baby. I scroll through them daily, amazed at how much she's grown and changed already. I understand now how parents are so proud of every little milestone. (She can lift her head up! She can kind of almost reach out for that toy!) When she was born, she was so tiny and helpless, balled up so tight as if still missing the womb. At three months, she seems so sophisticated and worldly in comparison, able to look around, smile, "talk", and recognize us. It is more rewarding to watch her grow than I ever could have imagined. If you've ever planted a seed and rejoiced that it actually sprouted, you'll know what I mean. It's no big deal, it happens everywhere, every day, yet because YOU tended to it, because you wanted it and witnessed it, it's a miracle.
Today is a major milestone for all of us, though a bittersweet one. After 13 weeks of paternity leave, Curtis is back to work, and now I am officially at home with the baby. I am immeasurably grateful that Curtis was able and willing to take off as much time as he did. It's pretty unusual for fathers (at least in the US), but that time was so valuable for us. The first month was survival mode, the second was getting into a groove, and the third was mostly having fun as a family. It was the most challenging and joyful experience we have ever been through together, and I am both sad and relieved it's over.
So now my new real life begins. I still don't know how I'll feel not working and being at home. I imagine there will be some days when I love it, some when I hate it, and many more when I'll feel somewhere in between. I'm trying to find ways to make it work for me. This morning we went to our first playgroup at the park through the Burlingame Mother's Club. I was a little anxious about it since obviously the kids don't play together yet, and I didn't know anyone there. But it turned out great. It was a beautiful day, Holly was in a good mood, and the other moms were really friendly. I was pretty proud of myself for making it out of the house by 10 am at all.
Small goals, small victories. I think that's going to be my pace for awhile, and I am okay with that. Holly is teaching me how small things can be quite big when you're looking at them through this lens of love and pride called parenthood.
Like most new parents, we take tons of pictures of the baby. I scroll through them daily, amazed at how much she's grown and changed already. I understand now how parents are so proud of every little milestone. (She can lift her head up! She can kind of almost reach out for that toy!) When she was born, she was so tiny and helpless, balled up so tight as if still missing the womb. At three months, she seems so sophisticated and worldly in comparison, able to look around, smile, "talk", and recognize us. It is more rewarding to watch her grow than I ever could have imagined. If you've ever planted a seed and rejoiced that it actually sprouted, you'll know what I mean. It's no big deal, it happens everywhere, every day, yet because YOU tended to it, because you wanted it and witnessed it, it's a miracle.
Today is a major milestone for all of us, though a bittersweet one. After 13 weeks of paternity leave, Curtis is back to work, and now I am officially at home with the baby. I am immeasurably grateful that Curtis was able and willing to take off as much time as he did. It's pretty unusual for fathers (at least in the US), but that time was so valuable for us. The first month was survival mode, the second was getting into a groove, and the third was mostly having fun as a family. It was the most challenging and joyful experience we have ever been through together, and I am both sad and relieved it's over.
So now my new real life begins. I still don't know how I'll feel not working and being at home. I imagine there will be some days when I love it, some when I hate it, and many more when I'll feel somewhere in between. I'm trying to find ways to make it work for me. This morning we went to our first playgroup at the park through the Burlingame Mother's Club. I was a little anxious about it since obviously the kids don't play together yet, and I didn't know anyone there. But it turned out great. It was a beautiful day, Holly was in a good mood, and the other moms were really friendly. I was pretty proud of myself for making it out of the house by 10 am at all.
Small goals, small victories. I think that's going to be my pace for awhile, and I am okay with that. Holly is teaching me how small things can be quite big when you're looking at them through this lens of love and pride called parenthood.

Oh the time will fly even faster and faster!! Not every moment is enjoyable and that's okay. The days can be super long but the years are short. I'm glad Curtis got to share the experience with you for these past few months!!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing that it has already been 3 months, can't wait to see all you again! Looking good, and being Wise and loving as usual.
ReplyDelete