Skip to main content

Thirty.

I've been talking about my birthday a lot this year... It feels a bit silly and self-centered, but I've been having a great time crossing things off my #MaiLe30for30 list (18/30 at the time of this post)! As I mentioned in my previous birthday post, part of the reason for all this fanfare is because this last year has been pretty challenging and I feel like a little celebration is in order. But it's actually more than that. Part of it has been a lifetime in the waiting.


I think everyone has a spiritual age. I know a few people who really are kids at heart, and I have one friend in particular who is just waiting to become an old lady (the elegant, St. John's wearing type, not a lonely cat lady...). For most of my youth, I definitely felt older than my age. I was always a more serious kid, and experiencing family trauma at a young age forced me to mature a little earlier. I know now that I didn't have it rough compared to many kids in our country, but I remember back then just longing to be as carefree as my classmates. In high school and college, I had a few good friends and my faithful roommates, but I was not the "fun" girl people wanted to hang out with on the weekends (unless it was for Key Club service projects--woohoo!). It didn't hurt my feelings, because socializing was exhausting for me. Going to parties, getting wasted, hooking up, and even making small talk just seemed like a waste of time, though part of me wished so badly I could have fun doing it. I wanted stability in the form of a career, a family, a house, and an herb garden. I was just waiting for that to be age-appropriate.

With every year that passes, I've been able to become less and less defensive about who I am. No one has told me to loosen up for years, thank goodness! Older people don't patronize me nearly as often, assuming I have no "life experience". I don't have to force myself to go out just to save face and not lose friends. Meeting for brunch and staying in with a glass of wine are cool now. Unfortunately, more and more people my age have experienced loss and hardships in their own lives, which make them more empathetic and less judgmental of mine. I can be myself more than I've ever been able to before.

My mentor in college, Heather, was/is an amazing influence in my life. She heard me and saw me in a way no other adult had before. She taught me that it was okay to be sensitive and to be serious, and that my perceived weaknesses would ultimately be my greatest strengths. At 20 she gently warned me that the next few years could be hard, but that my thirties were waiting for me after that. She predicted that I would flourish then. I kept her words in mind these last ten years every time things felt hard and I found myself desperately lonely and confused about my direction in life.

I'm only at the beginning of this new decade, but I believe she was right. My calendar age and my spiritual age are finally meeting, and I have already felt a lot of weight dropping from my shoulders in the prcoess. Who knows what awaits now that I'm free from the baggage of youth. I'm going to have to call Heather and see what I should expect for forty...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...