Skip to main content

Positive Vibes Please!

Well big news... I applied to grad school! It was a pretty spontaneous decision within the last couple weeks, so if you're surprised, believe me, I am too. I've applied for the Master of Public Health program at SF State.


I've always had it in my head that I would go back to school, but years went by and it never seemed like the right time. I continued to stumble upon good work opportunities, I was embracing a more relaxed pace of life, and of course most recently, I was focused on starting my new role as a mom. There were many times when I was close to applying. I took the GRE in 2011 while living in DC, and began to look into programs. I researched my options again in 2015, but once I found out I was pregnant I put those plans aside. GRE scores are only valid for five years, so I figured the window for grad school had closed for now, and that I'd revisit the prospect later down the road.

I'm not sure why, but I was looking at the ETS website and clear as day it said that scores from August 2011 (the month I took it) are valid until June 2017. It seems they changed from academic year cycles to exact five year cutoffs, and I happened to just slip into the old system. Somehow seeing that my scores were still valid lit a fire under me. It felt like a sign that I had to apply. It would either be NOW, or much much later. 

Yes, it will be a major feat to work full time, go to grad school, and be a parent. Any of those two things in combination are challenging enough. But I want this. And for once in my life, I'm acting first, and thinking later. I already missed the priority deadline, so I really had to be decisive and jump into this. I scrambled to get all the application pieces together-- essay, reference letters, CV, and all. And now it's in! I should hear back by mid-June. I'm a little anxious, but if it doesn't happen, life will go on exactly as I had planned for it to a month ago. No harm, no foul.

Whatever happens I'm glad I had this chance. I'm glad I studied for the GRE all those countless nights at Tryst. I'm glad I did the research years ago so that I could know exactly what program I would apply for. I'm glad I've challenged myself to take a risk. I'm also glad to put this out there so that people can send positive vibes into the universe for me as I await my acceptance or otherwise. I can't do any of this without support and encouragement! 

Comments

  1. Best of luck Mai in your academic endeavor, I, too, recently decided to go back to school (SF State as well), but still trying to figure out what program. I started off in the MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), but it wasn't the right fit so I'm looking into the MA in Spanish....We'll see...Robert...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Robert, that's great! Maybe I'll see you around campus if things work out :) I hope you find the right fit soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...