I don't know if favors for friends counts as service, but I'm going to file it there anyways... My coworker/friend recently decided to have a small wedding at San Francisco City Hall. When I heard that she wasn't planning to get anyone to take pictures because of the cost and her short planning time frame, I offered to do it as a gift for her. She wasn't sure about it at first (I think out of fear of inconveniencing me), but I was so happy that she accepted. Photos are by no means the most important part of a wedding, but I know how much I love being able to look at my wedding pictures and get filled with warm fuzzies, and I think everyone should be able to do the same.
I warned her, I'm not a professional, so don't expect Pinterest-worthy photos, but I will try my very best! And I did. I really have to hand it to wedding photographers because it's a big responsibility. You only get one chance to get it right. It can be pretty stressful moving around to get the best angle (i.e. trying to get around everyone hovering with a cell phone), paying attention to the order of events so you don't miss any critical moments, and trying to direct people for portraits without being too bossy. Despite the challenges, it was a great experience for me because I got to do something I love, practice some skills, AND be witness to a very important moment in my friend's life. I can't think of a better way to spend my wonderemployment time.

Comments
Post a Comment