Skip to main content

Act 12: Supporting a Friend and School Board Candidate


Last night I attended a meeting of the Democratic County Central Committee (DCCC) in San Francisco to show my support of Stevon Cook, a friend of mine who is running for school board. I know Stevon because we were in the same City Hall Fellows cohort in 2008-2009. It's hard to believe it was so long ago!

This endorsement meeting was a whole new experience for me in a lot of ways. First of all, I did not know the DCCC existed, or that it is the governing body of San Francisco's Democratic Party. I also had no idea what an endorsement meeting would be like. Turns out they are very popular events. It was standing room only last night, and it took me over half an hour to get in the door because of long lines and security. Everyone wanted to be there to support or denounce certain candidates and local propositions. The public comment process was wearisome (as they often are!), and it seemed to me that it did not make any difference in swaying the committee members since they are only human and probably could not focus on such a long parade of impassioned statements (and most likely had their minds made up before arriving).

Since finishing City Hall Fellows, leaving city government, and moving out of San Francisco, I haven't stayed up to date at all with city politics. This event brought back a lot of memories of what it was like to be engaged in local issues. Through my work now, I'm involved in the community, but not at all in a political way (which ultimately is how I prefer it). Even though the room was ridiculously hot, and I couldn't hear very well, I was inspired by the number of people who took time to understand the issues, stood up to say their piece, and actually cared about the outcome of the votes. This level of citizen engagement is one of the reasons I fell in love with San Francisco, and it was nice to reconnect with that.

Ultimately, Stevon did not get the endorsement he was looking for. But he has many other officials, teachers, local leaders, and groups backing him, so I have no doubt that this is but a minor setback. This is the first time I have been able to do something to actively support his campaign, but I have been proud to watch him take this journey from the start. I admire people who are willing to dream and actually create. So many people talk, yet very few people do. It takes so much courage, so much energy, and so much vulnerability to put yourself out there for something that you ultimately cannot control. I can't say I know a lot about local educational policy, but I believe in Stevon as a person, and that is what gives him my vote (if I could vote in SF). He is smart, disciplined, extremely dedicated to the local community, and he does not give up. Ever.

If you are a San Francisco voter, please vote Stevon Cook for School Board

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...