Skip to main content

On Marriage: Year Six

Another year has gone by in a blink. The years do seem to fly by faster with age, and I've been having so many moments recently of wondering how time can play such mind games.

It's been three months since I finished school, and somehow the rest of my life has swallowed up the voids left from classes, papers, and Zoom calls. It's almost like it never even happened, and those two years were just a brief detour.

I'm turning 33 next week. I swear I just turned 30.

Holly is starting preschool next week, after being at the same home daycare for the past three years. I remember agonizing over how much breastmilk I could pump for her and wishing she could tell me anything about her day. Now she talks nonstop about her friends, about who likes Little Mermaid, who likes Elsa, and who got time out. She can write her name, use the potty, and feed herself. She has even told me she hates me. She's really not a baby anymore. Curtis and I can't help but say it every single day, she's growing so fast.

We've grown too. When we first met at 22 and 23, we seemed to have so little in common. I was a talker, he was quiet. I liked to be out and about, he liked to relax. I felt ALL my feelings, he seemed to feel none. We still have some of those differences, but they seem so minor in relation to all that we share. Time has woven us together in so many ways. We share a daily routine, a Google calendar, finances, a home, and a child of course.

Earlier this summer we did the New York Times 7-day Love Challenge. It's a week's worth of short exercises meant to strengthen your connection with your partner. Some of it felt cheesy, and one led to a fight. But our favorite was thinking about our perfect day. We actually had incredibly similar ideas of a perfect day, because they were built on good memories we had shared before. This month when we went to Portland, we left Holly with my mom to actually live out one perfect day the best we could. It felt so indulgent and fun and wonderful.

Time can slip by so fast. We've all been told it, we've all felt it. Sometimes the only thing that can slow that down, that can make it feel bearable, is to step out of the grind and say, "I want to remember this".  I wish it were easier to do with years at a time, but that's too much for the human brain to hold in any specific detail. We can only have days. And I'm so grateful we had this one. I will hold it in my memory for as long as I can.



---

Rewind:
On Marriage: Year Five
On Marriage: Year Four
On Marriage: Year Three
On Marriage: Year Two
On Marriage: Year One

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...