Skip to main content

Strong Just Like You Prayed I'd Be

 
This is the soundtrack for today's post. (If you do not use Spotify, you can also click here to go to YouTube). It's a little known fact, but I really enjoy country music. Currently, I am in love with Miranda Lambert and all her great song-stories about growing up, finding your path, and being your own person. This song, "Mama, I'm Alright", always makes me think of my own mama (minus the references to Texas and the Bible).
Mama I'm okay out here
I've seen how hard the world can be
My step is sure and I know my name
I'm strong just like you prayed I'd be
I'm strong just like you prayed I'd be
When my mom and I were in Vietnam this last time, we were having a fun seafood dinner by the ocean with my aunts and cousins. As we were waiting for the bill, one of my aunts stared into the dark water and said to my mom, “remember when we jumped into the sea, not knowing if we would ever be back?” My mom and aunt then laughed about it, the way some of us might laugh about that one crazy party we went to back in the day. I, however, had to fight back tears. In that moment, I was hit so strongly by how much my mom had been through, how much had happened to make it possible that I was there with her, freely traveling around Vietnam with our American passports and American boyfriends. That leap, that boat, the subsequent refugee camp, the adjustment to a completely foreign land, the loss of a husband to mental illness, the responsibility of raising two girls as a single mom. I don’t know how I would handle any one of those hardships and I hope I am never tested.


I spent many years (mainly the teenage ones) feeling resentful of the ways my family was different from those that surrounded me. But along the way I learned a lot more from my mom than she probably believes I did. Here are few lessons that have helped me lately, as I've been thinking about where I'm "supposed" to be in life: 

If you have enough, don’t wish for more. When I was kid, my mom would shut down any conversation that started with "Why can't I have ___?" or “It’s not fair that she gets ____”. She didn't tolerate envy or greed. Even though I'm guilty of both occasionally, I'm so glad my mom taught me early on that those feelings are a waste of energy. You make the most with what you have, and if what you have is enough to feed, clothe, and shelter yourself and your family, you better not be complaining. If you want more, make a plan and do it. She also warned me from a young age not to be fooled, that a lot of people own things they can't afford. Debt is not worth it, and it's certainly nothing to envy.


Never stop learning. My mom is always active learning new things. She is an encyclopedia of skills. She works full time, designing microprocessor circuits (or something like that). And on the side she plants vegetables, does home repairs, arranges wedding flowers, plans vacations, does origami, sews kids clothes (see costumes below), makes her own yogurt, manages her own money, and even uses Instagram (hey, that’s remarkable for the over 50 set). This is just a small sample of what my mom can do. If she doesn’t know something, she reads about it or asks someone. The lesson was never that I should be able to do all the same things, but rather that learning is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Learning to do it yourself means you won't have to rely on (or pay!) someone else. It also keeps your mind and body limber, which leads me to the next lesson...


Age is just a number. My mom didn’t tell me this one verbally. In fact, she always looks at photos of herself and complains how old she’s getting, and I’m pretty sure she’s been saying that since her mid-30s. But even as my mom turns 55 today, she’s still going full speed ahead with no signs of stopping. Last weekend when I called, she was out shopping for cat-eye glasses. She’s also planning a trip to Cancun. She holds hands with her partner in public. She still has the shy grin of a girl. Because of her, I don't fear getting older. At 30, she probably had no idea that her best days were yet to come. We never know the arc of our story, so why assign so much meaning to how many candles are on the cake?


Mom, I know it wasn’t easy to get where you are, but I appreciate all that you’ve taught me and I carry it with me every day. And if you're ever worried about me, just remember, I’m strong just like you prayed I’d be.

Happy birthday,
Your baby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...