Skip to main content

What I "Do": The Employment Part

So far on my blog I've been focusing more on the "wonder" part of my life, with nothing about the employment side of the equation. I've realized that when you don't have a one-word job title, like lawyer, accountant, or teacher, it's hard for people to understand or remember what you "do". It's okay, I get it because I'm the same way! But I'd like to take the time to explain more because my work does mean a lot to me. I am currently working as the problem gambling project coordinator at a small non-profit in Chinatown. I help educate health providers, students, and the general community about problem gambling, including how to gamble responsibly, how to recognize when gambling becomes a problem, and how addictions work in general.

Many people I talk to have never heard of problem gambling. (They call it "problem gambling" when you have symptoms of gambling addiction, but not enough to have a DSM-V diagnosis of pathological gambling.) I had actually never heard of it either before coming to work at NICOS, but since then I've learned what a huge issue it is, particularly in the Asian American community. This is true for a multitude of reasons. Part of it is cultural, such as the widespread acceptance of gambling as recreation, but a lot of it is because of social and financial issues that many immigrants face in the US. Casinos don't require English skills, a prestigious job, or even a car (hello, shuttle buses!). Each bet could hold the ticket to a better life... yet it rarely ends that way. Gambling is yet another industry that's been able to tailor itself to the vulnerabilities of marginalized communities.

Though I said that many people I talk to haven't ever heard of this issue, the people who have heard about it usually know about it all too well because their family has been affected by it. Gambling addiction shares many similarities with other addictions-- growing tolerance to the substance or process, inability to stop, lying to cover up the issue, using the substance or process to cope with problems, etc. Yet because so few people know the signs or know that gambling addiction is even a "thing", they don't seek out help for themselves or their loved ones as quickly. The results can be devastating. People have shared with me that their family members have gambled away their life savings, ignored their family members' pleas to stop, even attempted suicide to avoid facing their crippling debts. This is why education and awareness are so critical.

March is National Problem Gambling Month, part of the reason I decided to write this post now. Next week my organization is hosting a community wellness resource day called "Make the Change" to educate people about problem gambling, and help them access all kinds of services that could improve their physical, mental, and financial health. The event will be on Monday, March 17th from 10:00am-1:00pm at the San Francisco Main Library. Please come support me, my organization, and the community by stopping by! If seeing me isn't enough of a draw, there will be lots of fun prizes! :)

Also available in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese!

Lastly, if you or someone you know has been impacted by problem gambling, help is available. If you're in California, just call 1-800-GAMBLER for referrals to FREE counseling and treatment services. For Chinese speakers, NICOS runs a bilingual helpline, 1-888-968-7888. Both are free, confidential, and available 24/7. For my Oregon friends, similar services are available through 1-877-MY-LIMIT. These services can be really helpful for family members, as well as the individual who is gambling. Don't suffer alone when there are many people out there waiting to listen and help.

That's my soapbox for today. I hope you learned something new, including what I "do"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...