Skip to main content

My 14-Year-Old Life List (Part 1)

Recently when I went back home to Portland, I dug up my old journals from 8th and 9th grade. I proceeded to spend the flight, and a few hours after, reading them straight through. I remember many events of those tender years vividly, but holy moly, I had forgotten the thought process of that age. I was obsessed with this boy, and then the next day another one. I spent pages and pages interpreting every act, every word, every absence of acts or words. I truly seemed to feel that one failed relationship meant I was doomed to never find love. I felt my options of people out there for me were limited to the five boys I interacted with most frequently. I did things I knew weren't smart, and even admitted it to myself in writing.


One of the best finds in my journals was a list I made in 9th grade, at age 14, titled, Things I would like to do in my lifetime (not in any order). I had remembered this list vaguely and a couple of the items on it, but I had forgotten about most of it. It was fascinating to see what I felt was important to me at that time, and to compare it with what I had accomplished in the 14 years since writing it. It's a long list, with 21 items, so I will share it with you in segments.

Things I would like to do in my lifetime (not in any order): Part 1

1. Live in a big city
Check! Moving to San Francisco was the best decision I ever made. 

DSC_0797

2. Be a mother, a good one
I still hope for this. 

3. Publish a children's book
I would still love to do this someday, somehow, but I have no idea what it takes, no illustration experience, and little drive to figure it all out. I do, however, have a main character in mind: my beloved Miss Koala Bear. Even in adulthood, Miss Koala Bear is much more than a toy to me. She has so much life in her eyes, and so much history to tell. When I was a little girl, my sister would make up stories about what Miss Koala Bear did when I was away at school, where she came from, and the lessons she needed to be taught (Miss Koala Bear was wild in her youth). I don't know if I could ever capture that magic on paper, but it's something I would love to share if I could.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5025628500_82bb6e1760_o.jpg

4. Be fluent in Spanish
I was well on my way there, taking Spanish V my senior year of high school (or the equivalent to Spanish II in college). But once I got to college so many other classes seemed more fun or more important, so I didn't continue. At one point, my writing skills were passable, but I was also always horribly shy about speaking because I knew I would make mistakes. That's the only way to learn though. Someday I would like to pick this back up again.

5. Be fluent in sign language
I'm not sure why this was important to me. Besides Spanish, I think the most useful language for me to learn would be Vietnamese. I can speak it, but not in a professional context, and my vocabulary is that of a 5-year-old. "Yes mom, more noodles please!", "Thank you for the money, auntie!", you get the picture... 

6. See my mom make a best friend
When I was growing up, I knew my mom was lonely as a hardworking, single mom. My sister and I were her whole life, and it scared me. For one, my sister being off to college meant even more attention on me, which is indeed scary to any teen. But also because I knew I would leave the house soon too, and I was worried about what would become of her. I said "best friend" because my mom never seemed opened to meeting men, so I didn't want to be so optimistic as to hope for romance. But shortly after I left to college my mom did meet someone, who I would say without question IS her best friend, and more. I consider him one of the biggest blessings in my life because he came at just the right time to keep her company so I could truly fly the nest without worry.


7. See Tran get married to her true love

Oh, my 14-year-oldness is revealed in my use of "true love" haha. I am happy to say this did happen, and I got to be the maid of honor. I cringe to recall that my sister's "true love" and I got off to a rocky start (so sorry about that, Tran), but by the time their wedding came around, I stood up there with them proudly, with faith that they did belong together. Six years, a cross-country move (and back), a dog, and two children later, I can see without doubt that my sister found herself the right life partner. When I made this list, my sister was actually dating someone else, someone she had been with for many years. I loved him like a brother and friend, but I purposely didn't name him here. I knew it wasn't meant to be for her, and I'm glad she realized it too.


To be continued soon...

 See Part 2, and Part 3.

Comments

  1. Now I'd like to go dig up my old journals. Not a bad list there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you totally should! And then we should have a group reading session, like my cousin Kara said on Facebook.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...