Skip to main content

2017 Annual Y Campaign

One of my biggest roles as a board member at the Peninsula Family Y is advocating and fundraising for the Y's amazing programs. This year I have the honor of being the Community Campaign Chairwoman. I spoke at the Campaign Kick-Off event this week, to share my own Y story and encourage others to share theirs. Gabbie and her father came to cheer me on and celebrate their place at the Y too. 

To kick off my own personal fundraising, I want to share my remarks from the event. 


---

My name is Mai and I’m so excited to be the Campaign Chairwoman this year. Thank you all so much for taking time to be here, and more importantly, for supporting the Peninsula Family YMCA.

We’re going to hear some incredible stories from people within our Y community today. Before we do that I want to tell you a little more about myself and my Y story. I’m currently on the board of managers, but I actually started volunteering with the Y as a Reach and Rise mentor. Reach and Rise is a therapeutic, one-on-one mentorship program that pairs an adult in the community with a youth who could use a little more support in their lives. Mentors receive training on how to deal with potential challenges and difficult situations, and commit to spending a couple hours per week with their match.

I was matched with a precocious 13-year-old girl named Gabbie. Her father signed her up for the program because she had recently lost her grandmother, who had lived with them and been the primary female figure in her life. Gabbie was talkative and outgoing with me, but was struggling with self-esteem and staying on track academically. We talked about those issues a bit in our weekly outings, but mostly we just had fun. We went to the art museum, we explored Japantown, we volunteered at a community garden together. She also tried sushi, escargot, and Indian food for the first time with me. She loved it all, which was the best part. Every meal we shared left my heart, and stomach, so full.

It just takes ONE supportive adult to improve a child’s chances of success. Even though there have been times when I’ve felt helpless trying to make things better for Gabbie, I have trust that just by listening, taking time to be present, and offering opportunities to see new things, I have planted seeds that will last a lifetime. Gabbie is here with us tonight. She is now 17 and going to graduate high school in the spring. Even though I am not formally her mentor anymore, I can’t wait to see her get her diploma. I couldn’t be more proud of her and how much she has grown as a young person.

Gabbie is the reason I fundraise for the Y. She represents the potential that all youth have to grow, thrive, learn, and become incredible contributors to our society. A lot of times it just takes a little nudge from a mentor, a camp counselor, a swim teacher, or basketball coach—someone to say, “I see you. You can do this. I’m proud of you.”

The Y provides so many opportunities for young people, and adults, to be included in their community. As you go out to campaign, I encourage you to think about this idea of inclusion, and of community. Think about the communities that matter most to the person you’re talking to, and talk about what the Y offers them. Share your own story, of why you belong to the Y. The more we can facilitate this dialogue, the better off our community will be, and the more successful this campaign will be.

---


My goal is to raise $2,500 in the next six weeks, including our family's personal donation. Learn more about the diverse programs and services of the Peninsula Family YMCA and consider making a contribution today.

Thank you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

Goodbye to Wonderemployment

I started this blog in January 2014 when one of my grants ended and my organization moved me to another project on a much more limited basis. I felt so unmoored by the shift, wondering who I was if not a good, productive, upwardly mobile professional. (Just to be clear, I no longer believe you have to work full time to be productive, and definitely don't believe anyone's worth is tied to their employment!) A lot has changed since then. I've had five job changes, earned my MPH, had two kids, started a Buy Nothing group (practically a part time job), and navigated a pandemic. I'm also no longer underemployed! Last month I started a new job with my local public health department. It's meaningful work that is challenging, well-compensated (by my standards), in line with my experience and education, and has potential for growth and advancement-- all the things I've wanted in a job since I started this blog. I've been around enough to know that not everything wor...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...