Skip to main content

Soundtrack to Staying at Home

Hanging out with a baby can be loud, but it can also be very quiet at times. During this past year, my most constant companion has been my podcasts. Prior to my pregnancy, I only listened to one podcast, just enough to fill the time on my commute on BART. But once I started staying home all day with Holly, podcasts helped me not just fill time, but keep me connected to the bigger world. It was like having great conversations without having to do any of the work. They have become such a soundtrack to my home life, I wanted to capture them here as sort of an audio time capsule for this period of my life.

Here are my top five podcasts (not in any order), along with some favorite episodes:

Stuff Mom Never Told You: I feel like I tell everyone about this podcast because so many conversations remind me of things I've learned from this show. Cristen and Caroline look at tons of topics from a feminist, fact-based lens, with a good dose of humor. I am so bummed they won't be recording any more episodes, but I'm happy for them because they're going independent, and writing a book called Unladylike.
  • Empowertising. I have cringed at some of the viral "feel good" ads from Dove, Always, and other female-centric brands, without quite being sure if I'm just too cynical. This episode dives into some nuance on why using feminism for capitalism can be problematic, though still perhaps better than the alternative!
  • Thank a Social Worker. I've thought about going back to school for social work for a while now. In my conversations with friends and family, it's clear that social work is a really misunderstood profession. I loved this episode for highlighting what a diverse and important field this is.
  • Fighting Shirley Chisholm. I had only heard of Shirley Chisholm as a woman who had once run for president. But I didn't know much about her story or what she stood for until this SMNTY episode. What a remarkable woman... unbossed and unbought!

Death, Sex & Money: "A show about the things we think about a lot, and need to talk about more." This is essentially a show full of the conversations I wish I could have all the time with people.
  • Tracy Clayton is Speaking Things into Existence. Listening to this made me want to be best friends with Tracy Clayton, though I actually hadn't heard of her until this episode. From getting real about Ikea furniture to making peace with past relationships, I loved her sense of humor and vulnerability. I'll definitely be checking out her podcast, Another Round. 
  • Sonia Manzano & Justice Sonia Sotomayor. Two impressive women chat as friends, reflecting on their childhoods, race and prejudice, and insecurities. It feels like a privilege to listen in on a conversation like this. 
  • I Was More Angry At God. This episode hits on the death part of the podcast's title. It had me choked up with tears, and smiling too. 

Dear Sugar Radio: In another life, I would love to be an advice columnist. And if I was, I would want to be Cheryl Strayed. By now, everyone seems to know her work from the book (then movie) Wild. But so few people in my circle seem to be listening to her podcast! It's such a comfort to listen to her and Steve read and answer letters with their radical empathy.
  • How Do I Find the Courage to be My Own Guide? India Arie's Testimony: Vol 1, Life & Relationships carried me through the year after my worst break up. I listened to it so many times I can't bear to listen to it now! But hearing her speak about strength, courage, and wisdom in this episode was amazing. 
  • The Infidelity Episodes. This is a whole series about infidelity, with letters from both the betrayed and the betrayers. Cheryl and Steve help letter-writers grapple with the pain and confusion of infidelity, whether they're trying to patch things up or move on alone. It's thought-provoking to hear these more complex narratives, especially on a topic as difficult as cheating.

Longest Shortest Time: "The Parenting Show for Everyone." That sums is up pretty well. It talks about the experience of parenthood in a way that is interesting no matter where you are on the kids/no kids spectrum. From pregnancy to adult children, this show talks about it all.
  • W. Kamau Bell Asks His Mom About Sex. I like W. Kamau Bell's comedy, but this conversation with his mom was the best! I'm so glad my mom didn't date until I went to college, so I don't need to look back and wonder about this stuff... I love that his mom is so honest and unapologetic about living her life though!
  • The Parents' Guide to Doing It with Esther Perel. This episode is part of an ongoing series about sex after children. It's nice to hear people talking openly about something most of us have tried for our whole lives not to think about... parents having sex. But once you become a parent or are thinking about becoming one, these questions become fair game!
  • The Missing Chapter in Ina May's Guide. I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth when I was pregnant and it did empower me to want to have a natural birth. But I read/heard enough scary birth stories to be a little skeptical too. It was interesting to hear the host actually confront Ina May about how her message can be misleading. Ina May showed a great sense of humility and gentleness in her replies.  

2 Dope Queens: This a naptime show for sure. Even though Holly can't understand anything yet, it is just way too inappropriate to listen to with your child! This is partly why I love it. It makes me feel like an adult, in an otherwise baby-focused day. Phoebe and Jessica are really funny ladies, and I love that they bring on comedians from such diverse backgrounds.

Some other podcasts that deserve an honorable mention:


It's hard to keep up with all of these shows, but I'm open to new and interesting listens. Do you have any recommendations for me? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Silver Lining

I got word recently that my job was going to be cut. It was sudden, unexpected, and sad. Thankfully I was offered another temporary, part time position to tide me over. There are a lot of things to be thankful for... my health, my education, my husband, the experience I've had there. But it still hurts. I was (mostly) a straight-A student in high school and college. Doing well in school was part of how I defined myself. I always imagined I would find an awesome job, be really successful, climb the ladder, and be a leader. After I graduated, I did go on to find some great opportunities, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I thought I would be by this time in my life. Disappointing your past self is painful. Losing my job suddenly really drove that emotion home. I've had a few weeks to process this and wallow in my self pity. But then one day on BART, reading O Magazine , I had an epiphany. I need to make something of this underemployment period. If I can look back...

A Lesson in Writing and Authenticity

Often my blog drafts begin as emails to myself that I write during my commute or while I'm traveling. Sometimes they make it straight to the blog, and other times they end up in draft folder purgatory. I was sorting through my emails recently and came across this post that I wrote last summer. It still seems relevant and worth sharing, especially since today is the second anniversary of this blog. This blog has been such a rewarding project for me. It has helped me to think about my experiences in a different way, to open doors for bigger conversations, and to reclaim my long lost love: writing. --- I spent my flight to Minneapolis reading Katie Couric's The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives . I think under regular circumstances I would find the essays a bit cliched. The overarching themes are to be expected: work hard, follow your passions, be kind to others. But I find myself once again with the stirring feeling that I am not where I am supposed...

30 for 30!

I am fast approaching my 30th birthday in September. For most of my life, I've felt like my birthday has been a bust. For one thing, it often fell on or near the first day of school, which was when friendships were most in flux. I also didn't feel very confident about myself, so thinking of who to invite and what the group dynamic would be like filled me with anxiety. (It kind of still does.) As time went on I just pretended not to care, wouldn't plan anything, then felt vaguely depressed when the day rolled around without fanfare. This year, I want to do something different. I want to do something BIG. After this past year, of having a painful pregnancy, getting laid off, making some big life decisions, and caring for a new baby, I am unashamed to say I deserve some celebration ! Doing something "big" is a bit challenging with a little one, and without the extra income. I've spent the last month racking my brain for what I could do, but nothing seemed like ...